Monday, July 13, 2015

Climbing Higher

"Have you ever climbed a tree?" I asked my 3- and 4-year old grandchildren, Bethany and Joshua.  I had been trying to entertain them on that long-ago afternoon in Mississippi.  We had toured the yard, admiring the flowers and listening to the birds when I spotted the Magnolia tree.

"We don't know how, Mimi," they said in unison.  I placed their hands on the friendly, low branches of the tree and showed them how to reach for another low, smooth limb. Soon they had stretched themselves up and were sitting astride a sturdy arm of the tree.

"This is fun," they chortled.  After a little more of the strenuous exercise, I had to get them down from nature's jungle gym, especially when Bethany became a little too adventurous.

We loved our magnolias, one of which stood on either side of the long driveway.   Our children and their friends had grown up climbing this particular tree, the evenly spaced branches giving easy access to the perfect hide-outs and look-out views higher up. When one playmate moved away to England, he closed one of his letters to our son with the poignant words, "Climb the magnolia tree for me."

Not only did the trees have creamy-white fragrant flowers enjoyed in June, the green, glossy leaves surrounding them made wonderful garlands and mantel decor during the winter holidays. I learned that green was Joshua's favorite color only last week. We were at the graveside rites following his funeral. I  had wondered about the clutch of balloons waiting in a corner of the funeral chapel. I found out that they were to be released at the close of the service.

"What is the significance of the green balloons?" I asked one of Josh's brothers, to which he answered, "Green was Joshua's favorite color."  I never knew this!  Caleb told me that as children, whenever they chose a color for something--candies, shirts, etc., that Joshua always chose green while the other siblings had their favorites, which was a given. There were silver balloons, as well.

Soft voices singing to the strumming of a guitar blended with the gentle patter of rain on the tent shelter where we gathered for our final goodbyes. It was as if the balloons floated away on the sweet notes of the music still in the air. Higher and higher went the green balloons, interspersed with flashes of silver. We watched until they were out of sight.

Psalm 52:8 says, "But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God: I trust in the mercy of God forever and ever."

Joshua had stretched and grown and climbed his tree of life.  He was like a tree planted by the water, Jeremiah 17:8.  Now he is in the place of which scripture speaks: "And he showed me a pure river of water of life, clear as crystal, proceeding out of the throne of God and of the Lamb. In the midst of the street of it, and on either side of the river, was there the tree of life..." Revelation 22:2.

No comments:

Post a Comment