Sunday, March 8, 2015

Walking the Walk

"Are we going to have  a foot-washing?" I  whispered to my husband when I saw the altar lined with hundreds of small, folded towels this morning.  I had recently seen pictures of a Kids' Church service at our granddaughter's church in Texas, where they are preparing for Easter by acting out scenes of the night when Jesus was betrayed and He washed the disciple's feet.  The children were "washing" one another's feet with wet-wipes. Turns out our towels were "service" towels and handed out to the congregation.

Our church has started a campaign to "Get Involved." Posters have been put around the walls listing 39 areas of service available, with invitations open for additional ministries which others may feel drawn to.  Being fairly new to this congregation and involved in only a few activities, we studied the sheets and took some to consider and pray about.  (At my age, it is tempting to leave things to others, while I concentrate on planning trips to see my scattered family and rest between times!)

I do try to practice random deeds of kindness, though, in everyday little events and opportunities. Such as today when our order at the restaurant was a little mixed up, and when I asked for something, our waitress got distracted, even joining in a birthday song at another table while I waited.  When she brought it after a reminder, I controlled my urge to complain, thanking her and saying I knew how busy she was. I'm sure my husband left her a tip.

I was so touched when my daughter wrote about her 12-year-old's desire to do something for homeless people.  She wanted to make a blessing jar filled with snacks, necessities and nice-to-have items for the less fortunate.  This would in be a re-usable, plastic gallon jug.  She made a long list of things to have in it, considering and deliberating over each item and its cost.

This very serious and spiritual child  would not budge from her impressions that these items were what she should include, even though her parents made suggestions.  She did agree that they could share this vision with the church and make it available for donations.  Soon she had her blessing jar full, hand-printed a personal note, copied John 3:16, and wrote out the plan of salvation and encouraging words for the recipient and included them in the jar.

A minister/singer friend of mine from Mississippi, also a Facebook friend, mentioned that when she drove into a McDonald's parking lot recently, she noticed a cat prowling around hungrily.  She was touched with compassion and went in and bought the cat a fish-burger! She said when she retires she plans to have a place for homeless animals.

Given under the guise of joking, I suppose, I was stung the other day by a derisive remark made to me.  I didn't respond, however, willing myself to practice kindness.  Although I stewed over it while trying to sleep that night, I finally felt at peace when I turned it over to the Lord.  The next morning I was amazed to read this scripture shared on Facebook: "No weapon that is formed against thee will prosper; and every tongue that shall rise up against thee in judgment thou shalt condemn. This is the heritage of the servants of the Lord, and their righteousness is of me, saith the Lord."

Although getting involved in the Lord's service at the church is wonderful, we are always called upon to be involved with care, concern, and kindness at a personal level, even figuratively washing someone's feet.   Doubt and discouragement may come in, but if  God is with us, who can be against us?


No comments:

Post a Comment