Friday, March 6, 2015

Heartthoughts: A Sower Went out to Sow...

"A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver," Proverbs 25:11.  Howard came out of the bank smiling.  We had recently opened an account there since our previous bank had relocated to another city.  We had gotten acquainted with the friendly, young accounts manager, and learned she was a believer and had even done missions work.

My husband carries scripture cards he has had printed almost everywhere he goes.  When he concluded his business, he had given the lady one of them.  "You should have heard what she said when she read it!" he exclaimed. "She said, 'You don't know how I needed this today!' and hugged me!"

I looked at the card and saw the words from Psalm 91:10-11, "There shall no evil befall thee, neither shall any evil come nigh thy dwelling. For he shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee in all thy ways."  Howard said there was much hustling and bustling, arranging of flowers and fluttering about in the bank as employees readied everything for their grand opening later that morning.  I could imagine the tension and pressure the girl was under. No wonder she gave him a hug of  appreciation!

A little later, we were checking out from a store, the cashier keeping up a bright chatter--for our benefit, I could tell.  I was pushing the cart back in place when I noticed Howard handing her one of  the cards. She looked at it, and the empty facade of cheer faded as the worry-lined face softened. "Oh, you don't know how I needed this today!" she murmured.

Then at the counter when I was returning an item at Walmart, we chatted with an acquaintance working there, and Howard gave her the scripture card. She read the words he had printed at the top that say, "Keep this--When the pressure gets on, pull this out and read it--" followed by the verses in Psalms. "I  will!" she exclaimed as we walked away.

"For as the rain cometh down, and the snow from heaven, and returneth not thither,  but watereth the earth, and maketh it bring forth and bud, that it may give seed to the sower, and bread to the eater: 
So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it." Isaiah 55:10-11.

No comments:

Post a Comment