Saturday, March 14, 2015

Preparation

Most people get to leave their environment and go to work, but housewives work in their environment! Sometimes I jump right in to my housework while still in my pajamas and house shoes. I did that today, determined to get something done early. Pretty soon, though, I was tiring, so I decided to put on my shoes.  What a difference!  I had a new boost of energy with the support for my feet.

I slipped on some jeans, but didn't bother with the belt.  That was not comfortable, either, but a belt cinched in seemed to give me more resolve!  I dusted, straightened, picked up and used my robot-duster on the bare floors.  (My helpful husband had vacuumed before he left.)

The words from Ephesians 6 came to mind as I thought about Paul's teaching on putting on the whole armor of God.   Verse 15 says we are to have our feet shod with the preparation of the gospel of peace. Before that, we read, "Stand therefore, having your loins girt about with truth, and having on the breastplate of righteousness," Ephesians 6:14.

I don my apron, putting on my shield of faith that I can persevere over these chores! I will quench all these fiery darts of distraction that sway me from my goal of a clean house!   I turn on the Christian radio station and hear spiritual songs which lift my spirit,  and a word from a preacher--the Word of God!

Putting away magazines and throwing out newspapers, I resist the urge to dwell on the latest headlines, the principalities, powers and rulers of darkness of this world. I gather the various Bibles left open into some kind of organization, thanking God for His Word which fills my mind--the sword of the Spirit.

Some say that all this preparation of putting on the armor of God is to get ready for the real battle in verse 18, the battle of prayer: "Praying always with all prayer and supplication in the Spirit, and watching thereunto with all perseverance and supplication for all the saints."

After this work-out,  I was refreshed by a shower and my view of chores.   My husband came into a clean house with a tasty lunch I had prepared, creating an atmosphere conducive to harmony in the home, even as Paul concludes the book of Ephesians with words of peace, love, faith and grace.  The real goal of housekeeping!

No comments:

Post a Comment