Wednesday, November 20, 2013

True Love

There's a new man in my life!  So far it's a long-distance relationship, but it was love at first sight when I saw him on my computer screen.  Arrangements have been made for us to meet in a few days, and my heart flutters with anticipation.  I can tell by his eyes that he is a deep thinker, and he is a dapper dresser!  Of course, there is an age difference, since he will only be two weeks old tomorrow!  My grandson, Isaac!

Two young ladies are already vying for Isaac's affections, one an articulate, beautiful blonde and the other an opinionated, red-haired charmer.  Isaac has two big sisters, 4 and 7.

I love the old poem, Cradle Song, by J. G. Holland that goes, "What is the little one thinking about? Very wonderful things, no doubt.  Unwritten history! Unfathomed mystery!"  That's what the little one's thinking about!

I never knew what his father was thinking, either, growing up so fascinated with new discoveries and ideas. He led me a merry chase, into everything and full of surprises.  Now it's his turn to raise a boy!
                   
The poem goes on, with a little rearrangement:

Who can tell what the baby thinks?
Who can follow the gossamer links?
Yet he laughs and cries, and eats and drinks,
And crows and chuckles and nods and winks.
                          ~~~
 And of course, there is Isaac's first love, his mother.
                          ~~~
What does he think of his mother's eyes...
What does he think of his mother's hair...
What of the cradle-roof that flies
Forward and backward through the air?

What does he think when her quick embrace
Presses his hand and buries his face
Deep where the heartthrobs sink and swell
With a tenderness she can never tell...

Even with all these lovely ladies in attendance, I think there is still room for a loving Mimi in little Isaac's life, and I can't wait to make his acquaintance!

No comments:

Post a Comment