Thursday, November 7, 2013

Baby Daze

Speechless! was my response to a video I watched last night on human growth and development before birth.  I guess it caught my eye because our grandson was due to be born the next  day..  What  a marvelous God we have whose wonders are evident in the intricacies and inexplicable mysteries of our makeup so brilliantly portrayed in the video!  I went to bed with the presentation on my mind, anticipating our own miracle by morning .  I woke up several times, watching the clock for 5 a.m. when I knew our son Jamie would be taking Tammy to the hospital for her C-section.

I finally got up around six, checking the internet for messages.  I went to the expectant father's page and  saw Jamie in hospital scrubs with a solemn expression on his face.  Then I picked up a  post from Tammy saying the scheduled delivery would be at 7:30.  I read several bantering comments back and forth between Jamie and his friends for a half hour or so, then for at least an hour there was silence.  I knew he was busy.

Suddenly my phone was alive with text message announcements, which I could not retrieve, due to a malfunction of the cell phone. Then my daughter-in-law Joanna called and said Jamie asked her to call me. He was born!  Soon a picture of a plump cherub with inked feet filled my screen. It was real!  The miracle we had awaited for a long nine months was here!  Later a video of Baby Isaac showed him peering  with baby aloofness through newborn eyes as he twisted in his dad's arms, turning his head to expose a sweet spot where his kissable cheeks had hid his neck. Be still, my heart!

I was wondering how his big sisters would react, especially Maddie, who is four.  The other night I asked her over the phone if she would be a helper, handing Mommy a diaper for the baby.  She surprised me by saying of her big sister, "That would be Anne-Marie doing that!" Today her father reported that she had paid a visit to the hospital to see the baby, but after 20 minutes she stated, "Can we go home already?"

Well, Maddie may be less than thrilled with a usurper, but she will soon take it all in stride, I'm sure.  Kids are so resilient and age-predictable.  Last night our church had family night, and it was a special treat for us to see the life and energy bursting forth from the kiddos as they played the active games planned for them. We were amazed at the intensity and enthusiasm of our 7- and 8-year-old granddaughters as they participated.

When we picked them up after school today, we let them burn up some energy at the park where they climbed, played on swings and jostled school friends for a good half hour.  We ourselves had walked at Cann Gardens earlier today, rejoicing in the gorgeous autumn weather, our mood buoyed already by the good news of Isaac.  The glorious colors in the canopy of leaves all around us left me awed at such an infinite Creator, and His goodness . To us and our children's children, for all generations.   .

No comments:

Post a Comment