Sunday, November 24, 2013

Thanksgiving Visit

I'm loving getting to spend time with my little grandchildren I don't get to see often.  It is my first time to see baby Isaac, just over two weeks old.  Always cuddled in downy blankets and the softest little footed outfits, he is utterly irresistible in his newness and perfection.  I can't get enough of him.  I held him during the entire song service at church today. Clasped against me as I stood with the congregation, the weight of his warm little body felt as light as a feather. Then muscles in my arms and chest held in their uncustomary position began to hint that I could enjoy him just as much sitting down.

He is a very discerning little boy.  Like the story of the princess and the pea, he can tell the minute his back comes into contact with his padded car seat.  He protests vigorously and loudly as we try to ignore his outrage.  His mommy is incredulous when I want to take him out.  She has a stronger resolve than I do; I wouldn't make a good mommy today, I guess--too indulgent.  I was sure he would injure himself crying so fiercely, but when the car stopped, he made a miraculous recovery and his sweet disposition returned.

In the midst of a hopping and dancing demonstration for us yesterday, our four-year-old granddaughter stopped and said worriedly of her 5-year-old boyfriend,  "I have a strange feeling! Joel tells me I'm awesome, but he never tells me I'm beautiful and cute!"  Then she resumed whirling, her red pig-tails bouncing merrily.

Today at lunch out, serious Anne-Marie, just turned seven, said knowledgeably as she studied the football game on the television left on for patrons, "Dad, I think Canada is playing Miami." Our hearts were warmed in church this morning when she surprised us, moving  past us in the pew and joining several of her friends, kneeling and draping themselves upon the steps of the platform in devout attentiveness to the worship music. She is positively angelic!

Tonight they went with their parents to dinner to celebrate the other grandfather's birthday.  We are helpless in their house, having messed up the television reception when we put the movie that our son had selected for us on pause, then couldn't operate his complicated remote system. We can't figure out the state-of-the-art microwave, either. It seems everything here is state-of-the-art. We complained that we were too hot last night, and he adjusted the thermostat before they left and we have been freezing all evening. At least I have this laptop to keep me almost as warm as thoughts of my family, for whom I can't wait to get home!

No comments:

Post a Comment