Thursday, November 21, 2013

Heartthoughts: Stormy Weather

I was awakened in the wee hours to the muffled sounds of a broadcasting voice.  Then, noticing the pillow next to me was vacant,  I got up expecting to find my husband asleep in front of the television.  Opening the bedroom door, I realized it was Howard in the kitchen praying, bombarding heaven for a serious need.

I lay back down to the rumbles of  distant thunder,  which were becoming loud claps as the thunderstorm grew closer. Finally the sound of  pelting rain against my window told me it was here. Settling into a steady rhythm on the roof, the rain was comforting, like the healing tears of reconciliation that come after the clash of a marital spat.

The scriptures that we had read at prayer meeting the other night came back to me.  "Blessed is the man whose strength is in You, whose heart is set on pilgrimage. As they pass through the Valley of Baca, they make it a spring; The rain also covers it with pools.  They go from strength to strength; Each one appears before God in Zion." Psalm 84:5-6.

Some versions describe the rains as autumn rains, which is what we are experiencing tonight.  The point is, by making Baca into a spring, or well,  they turn a place of bitterness into a time of refreshment.  Looking up these verses, I noticed David's prayer in Psalm 86 and reflected that it surely agrees with the spirit of my husband's prayer.

David describes himself as poor and needy as he entreats the Lord to bow down His ear. Verse 6 says, "Give ear, O Lord, unto my prayer; and attend to the voice of my supplication. (7) In the day of my trouble I will call upon thee: for thou wilt answer me."

The whole chapter is filled with intense proclamations of faith and devotion: "For thou art great, and doest wondrous things: thou art God alone. Teach me thy way, O Lord; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear they name," Psalm 86:10-11.

Morning is dawning and my husband is sleeping to the patter of rain, refreshed and reassured by his season of prayer. I write the words of verse 12, "I will praise thee, O Lord my God with all my heart: and I will glorify thy name forevermore." Amen!


No comments:

Post a Comment