Sunday, November 17, 2013

That's What I Love about Sunday

"Where did the ducks go?" I exclaimed in surprise to my husband.  I had just spotted 3 ducks at the edge of the water, then saw them go under for food or hiding, I thought.  But they never came back up!  The must have swum under water like little submarines until they were out of my sight!

We were at our son's farm on this gorgeous, autumn Sunday afternoon.  We had been watching him install a gate at the top of the pasture, reveling in the sunny weather and blue skies dotted with billowing white clouds and the  brisk air that made me zip my jacket. This vantage point gave us an elevated view of the lake at the bottom of the hill, as well as trees of the wooded areas below that spread like a blanket in their subdued tones of amber, orange and scarlet.  Their brilliance was fading a little now in mid November, but closer up, the sun still caught their colors in breath-taking splendor.

All around us the waves of prairie grass were whipping and bending in the invigorating wind. Muffled booms were coming from a shooting range at the far end of the pasture. That sound, coupled with the ducks who had recently began returning to the huge pond that curved lagoon-like farther on, created a seasonal ambience only enhanced by our frolicking grandchildren clambering up and sliding down the loose hay of a giant bale placed for the couple of cows pastured there.

We pulled ourselves away to get home in time for evening prayer meeting at the church. Driving there later, I gasped at the sudden, unexpected beauty of a  magnificent, rising moon.   The pinky-orange globe hung like a jewel in the gathering darkness.  This day had been so full  of God's wonders.

During our prayer meeting, a request was made for a five-year-old girl who woke up this morning telling her mother that she wanted to go to church.  I had talked with the visitors from the pew behind them, but I didn't know that the little girl had given her heart to the Lord in Sunday School earlier!  Hearing the good news made me reflect that God surely knows how to wrap up a Sunday!

No comments:

Post a Comment