Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Sweet!

"Bring your favorite recipe for cookies, cake, or candy to share and we will cook together at our November ladies' meeting," the  announcement read.  Interesting! I wondered how a dozen or so women would fit into the small church kitchen and do their own thing.  Okay, I mentally went over some of the things I liked to make and decided on a simple and a bit unusual choice:  Chocolate Cheese Fudge.

Gathering all my supplies, I set out for the church a little early.  A few women were already there, some working at the counter on snack treats and one putting a peach cobbler in the oven.  I used the stove top, so there was plenty of room.  Soon someone was rolling out cookie dough on the island, and another friend came in lugging a grocery bag and carrying a pineapple.

"I've never made pineapple-upside-down-cake before, so I might need some help," the young woman sang out.  My fudge was already cooling in the fridge by then, so I offered a tip or two when she seemed uncertain.  She soon had the pineapple cut up, and I shared about melting the butter and brown sugar in the pan. An older lady arranged the pineapple slices for her, while the young woman  mixed the batter then poured it over them.

When almost everything was ready, we sat down at the table, oohing and aahing over the novelty of the selections.  One of my favorites was "bacon and eggs," made by dropping a dollop of melted almond bark onto the middle of two pretzel sticks and topping the "egg white" with a yellow M&M. Too cute and very realistic!  My daughter-in-law, who made the aforementioned treat,  also assembled little "grinches" by threading a green grape, a banana slice, and a  strawberry on a toothpick, topping it with a marshmallow for Grinch's Santa hat.

While we munched and chatted over Christmas cookies, fudge,  Oreo balls and the pies, a late-comer assembled darling little sandwich-bag cones filled with hot chocolate mix, marshmallows and chocolate sprinkles tied with a red ribbon for her appreciative audience.  Not only was the food fun and tasty, just as enjoyable was getting better acquainted with one another.  I had no idea what an entrepreneur and civic leader one of the members is, and that the grandmother in a prayer request is 90 years old, still independent and driving her own car, and had just given up her long-time prison ministry last year!

The upside-down-cake we had been waiting on came out of the oven and was presented in all its golden goodness with a blush of satisfaction by the novice baker. We left the meeting full of food, friendship, shared experiences and needs prayed over.  A recipe for satisfaction!
       

No comments:

Post a Comment