Monday, August 5, 2013

Sustenance

Meals take funny turns sometimes. Thursday I decided to make hamburger stew for supper, but just before supper time, my husband returned a call we noticed, and a friend invited him to a singing event at a cowboy church, which included food. The stew turned out wonderful, and I had a bowl by myself. I had planned to make cornbread, but I found a lone square in the freezer, which was plenty for me.

I figured we would eat the stew the next day, but it was Friday, the day our favorite diner served beans and cornbread, which sounded good after shopping. Well, we would eat the stew for supper, I reasoned.

I was getting ready to warm it up while Howard relaxed on the screened porch, when he came in carrying a foil-wrapped parcel. "Look what our neighbor brought over!" he said, "He was grilling and gave this to us!" It was a small slab of brisket! We dived right in and had an incredible sandwich with some baked beans from a can in the cupboard.

It wasn't until Saturday evening that we enjoyed the stew, accompanied by a pan of cornbread and topped off with fresh blueberry pie and ice cream. Everything was so good we almost ate ourselves sick! Sunday morning I put a roast in for after church, and Howard said it was the best he'd ever tasted! He still had room for an encore of blueberry pie, though!

What a stirring service we had at church! Our pastor preached on "Wake Up, America!" and the altars were full afterwards as our hearts broke for our country and earnest prayers of petitions and supplication went up to the Lord.

Last night we had a message on faith and answered prayer, interspersed by the pastor's testimony on coming to Christ at age 12 and the conversion of his family. We laughed till we cried over the hilarious scenarios he depicted of his determination to get to church with the ulterior motive of the promise of getting to hold the pastor's guitar!

He still loves the guitar, and we loved the rest of the blueberry cobbler when we got home, a sweet ending to a day of feasting on the Lord's goodness!

No comments:

Post a Comment