Sunday, August 25, 2013

Home Grown

"Is that someone knocking at the door?" I said Friday afternoon as I detected a slight sound outside. Howard went out, and soon I heard him talking to someone. I looked out and was surprised to see a minister friend we hadn't seen in ages. He had brought us some produce from their garden! It was sitting just inside the door on our screened porch where he had placed it when he thought we were not home. I went out to join them, while our friend stood on the steps, saying he should get back to his wife in the car.

I went to say hi to her, not having seen her for a long time. "I read your book every day," the older lady said. "I keep it in the bathroom." (Someone else told me that, too!) I told her I had three more books now, and asked her husband to wait a minute. They were so nice to bring us those beautiful tomatoes and fresh green beans that I got copies of the other three books and gave them to her. She seemed so thrilled.

We sliced into a tomato as soon as they left. Talk about delicious! We ate two then and two for supper, relishing their sunshine-fresh flavor. I can't wait to cook the green beans! I would have had them last night, but we were invited for a pizza/game night at the home of our granddaughter. Pizza is not normally our cup of tea, but who could refuse an invitation like that?

Family games of Taboo, Uno, and Scrabble followed (I brought my king-size edition), interspersed by the passing of soft drinks and fresh-baked brownies. Our granddaughter and her room mate cousin were hosting their first event since moving into the house recently.

We got to see everyone again at church this morning. It was a blessed service with our son, Greg, helping lead the music. My eyes welled up in praise and gratitude at hearing the level of his skill and talent, all used for the Lord. Later, I remarked to his father that all four of our sons could get together and hold a revival! Two of them are preachers, and all are musicians and/or on worship teams! One of our daughters is a preacher's wife, and the other one sings beautifully!

We may not be much as gardeners, but with the Lord's help we did raise a good crop of kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment