Monday, August 5, 2013

On the Menu

With blueberries so plentiful lately, I decided I would make a blueberry cobbler. I had also picked up a pack of frozen blueberries, which I thought I would use and save the fresh ones for our morning oatmeal. After I had opened the package, I noticed the serving suggestions and ideas on the back, and was surprised to find an italicized quote below them.

It was from Isaiah 40:31 and read, "But those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

Wow! I knew blueberries were considered a super food, but I had never associated them with that verse! They are full of antioxidants, which prevent cell deterioration from oxidation and are believed to fight or prevent many diseases, including cancer. It is remarkable that so many so-called super foods are beautiful to look at, brightly colored and taste delicious. God's forethought to insure we would eat them!

The Bible says in Psalm 103:5 that God satisfies our mouth with good things, so that our youth is renewed like an eagle's! And what tastes better than blueberry cobbler? I'll admit I had more than my share of it! There are other benefits from the Lord listed in this Psalm: Forgiveness of sin; healing; safety; lovingkindness and tender mercies; and defense of the oppressed, to name a few.

He doesn't provide these benefits just occasionally or once in a while. Psalm 68:19 reminds us, "Blessed be the Lord, who daily loadeth us with benefits, even the God of our salvation." Daily!

It is apparent to me that the real Superfood is the Word of God! When we feast on scriptures like these and others throughout the Bible, we get the spiritual nutrients we need to become healthy Christians! Like an antioxidant, the Word of God strengthens our defense system and wards off the cancer of sin and Satan's attacks.

Psalm 119:30 says, "The entrance of thy words giveth light; it giveth understanding to the simple." Brain food! Enlightenment! No, we don't put it in our mouth; it comes through the eye gate: We have to read it! And it's berry good!

No comments:

Post a Comment