Tuesday, February 4, 2020

Trunk or Treat

What an eventful day! On this rain-free, beautiful mid-day, we set out for town.  Howard suggested lunch at one of our favorite, but rarely visited, places in downtown, historic Jonesborough. The food was great, and the walk down from our parking place on the hill was made pleasant by chatting with friendly, talkative folks we met along the way.

Then we headed for the shopping area to buy food, but first I wanted to get my hair cut at a great place in the strip mall. Then a quick exploration of a dress shop I hadn't yet visited since we moved here last summer. In no time I had found a few bargains, then at last we got our groceries.

"Do you want me to put them in the trunk?" I asked my hubby. He said okay, so I placed the considerable number of bags inside, pretty much filling up the trunk space. Then I placed the cart out of the way, and we headed home.

"It sure feels breezy in here," I commented as we drove along with zooming cars along the highway. It was noisy, too. Then I looked back and was shocked to find the wind was coming from an opening in the back! Suddenly I realized that the trunk was wide open! How did I forget to close the trunk? Dear Lord! What were we going to do in this traffic with passengers motioning toward our trunk! Finally we found a place to exit, and thankfully nothing was lost, and the trunk lid was unharmed and quickly closed shut!

I was weak from the ordeal, but my relieved husband insisted on stopping for coffee at Dunkin' Donuts. (Maybe he wanted to settle his nerves, too!) All I wanted was some cold water, as I slumped in recovery  while he enjoyed his coffee and donut.

As we drove up, our son-in-law, Steve, was in the yard and insisted on helping with the groceries. Thinking of our dilemma and the road, I remembered the scripture, "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble." Psalm 46. Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment