Wednesday, February 12, 2020

The Box Saver

Venturing out despite the misty, disagreeable weather yesterday, we were  determined to go to the Post Office to mail a birthday present for almost-2-year-old great-grandson, Kaden. The gift of a toy car was a little awkward to get into a box, just tall enough to not fit into any of my selected cardboard array.

Finally, I constructed a container of cut-down shoe boxes with plenty of wide plastic tape, looking like a taped-up accident victim. Seeing the U.S. Mail professional-looking boxes being carried in by others at the P.O. made me wish I had simply bought a box!

By this time, Howard and I were hungry and headed for Burger King. Howard waited at the counter while I got our drinks. The food was good and satisfying on such a dreary day, and the big-screen TV with all the political news got my attention. I glanced up when the manager approached our booth.

"Here," she said, "A man asked me to give this to you." She handed us a gift card for $10! When asked why, she said she didn't know! Later, Howard thought maybe the man overheard or saw him giving a scripture card to an employee, which he said he did while I was getting our tea. Any way, the card was a nice gesture. One never knows who might be paying attention unobserved!

Back to the boxes. I have always been a box-saver, stashing them away for various uses, but since we moved several months ago, nothing as superfluous as collected boxes came along. My husband is a saver: he saves mail, magazines and fliers that come in the mail. But most importantly,  as a retired pastor, his main interest is reaching out to people, endeavoring to save souls!


No comments:

Post a Comment