Friday, January 24, 2020

It Came in the Mail

"Don't throw that away!" my husband exclaimed as I was about to toss some junk mail. "It says I can get a free duffel bag!"

I scoured the offer, and it sounded complicated, requiring more info from us.  I had no idea what he needed with another piece of luggage to store away. Howard relented, although a little reluctantly.

I remembered stories my spouse has related about how as a boy he loved to send off for things and get them in the mail. He reminisced longingly how he would make the order, then sit on the porch for days waiting for the package to come in, whether it be a gadget or a highly touted object he couldn't live without.

Well, that is still his weakness, I guess, although I know his main interest these days is studying the Bible and reading  inspirational books. The possibility of getting a mail order offer and actually profiting from the word of God is of no comparison.

Rather than send off  for something and waiting for its delivery, we have the power of prayer that is carried instantaneously to its destination. Our prayers are answered by the will of God at exactly the right time! 

Our mail carrier delivers an ever-increasing bundle of mail daily, most of which goes into the trash after it is carefully examined and pored over by my diligent hubby. Somehow  much unwanted or unneeded communication has found its way to our rural mailbox.

The only letters that are beneficial and spirit lifting are the letters written in the Holy Bible by God's servants over the centuries. They carry truth, encouragement, warnings, prophecies, promises, hope and miracles, to name a few.

The Bible says in Psalm 19:14, "Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in Thy sight, 0 LORD, my Strength and my Redeemer." A good message to ponder!

No comments:

Post a Comment