Sunday, July 28, 2019

What's in a Name?

Not long ago, a Mississippi friend posted a picture on Facebook of an old time singer. She got a response saying what a great singer he was.  "He was the best!" my friend exclaimed.

"Who is that?" I wrote. A few minutes later, I got a message that said, "Thelma, watch this!"

So I tuned in on the video to hear Jimmie Rodgers warbling out the words, "T for Texas, T for Tennessee," then a few minutes later, he yodeled and sang, "T for Thelma, the girl that made a wreck out of me."

I had to laugh. It seemed funny to hear my name being sung in that song, although I had heard it many times and often sang it myself.  Once I was even tempted to buy an artistic picture of Texas with the words,  "T for Thelma" in very large print at the bottom. Something about hearing the song blaring in a famous voice from the past made me happy and giggly in spite of myself.

My mother named me "Thelma" after her sister, my Aunt Thelma.  I'm sure it was a popular name back then, but I had never liked it, seeming old-fashioned and outdated. I even started going by the name "Thea" for awhile, as a more contemporary-style name, but I soon went back to the familiar.

This morning, a newcomer to our church came up and introduced herself to me, saying, "I haven't met you," and we exchanged names. "Thelma!" she exclaimed, "That was my mother's name!"  Of course! I told her it was also my aunt's name.

Since I was born in June, that is my middle name. (Being that I was the sixth child, I think Mama was out of ideas for names.)  Now my delightful little great-granddaughter has June for her middle name, too!

The most important name of all is Jesus! We finish our prayers and requests, "In Jesus' name, Amen."  His is the Name above all names!  Scriptures indicate we will receive a new name in Heaven: Rev. 2:17; Rev. 3:12; Isaiah 62:2 and others. I'm sure mine will be a name I will like!


No comments:

Post a Comment