Thursday, May 9, 2019

Kitchen Follies

I was stirring the filling on the stove for  some lemon meringue pies I was making, but the more I stirred, the less the filling thickened! Then it hit me! I  had forgotten to put in the corn starch! Quickly I got the can of corn starch and emptied the rest of it  into the mixture. Thankfully, everything thickened properly.

Now I just had to add four egg yolks per pie (I was making three)  to a small amount of the filling. then pour it into the bubbling cauldron and stir thoroughly. Getting the yolks separated from the egg whites had been a major endeavor, when I accidentally broke the egg white into a small bowl of yolks I had set aside!

Nor  was getting the juice squeezed from the lemons without its pitfalls!  I had let the lemon seeds fall into the juice, intending to scoop them out before adding the juice to the sugar mixture, which I painstakingly did, only to see the seeds floating around in it! Thankfully I  was able to strain them out with various utensils made with holes.

Meanwhile, the pie crusts were baking, to be ready for the deep yellow filling to go into them shortly. The whites from a dozen eggs were ready for the mixer to turn them into fluffy, sweet meringue, using the last of the sugar in the house. By this time, I was ready to put them together. Only one step remained. Browning the meringue in the oven.

The pies browned beautifully, and I set them on a rack to cool.  Now to clean up the kitchen from all the utensils, bowls, beaters and pans used to create these masterpieces!

No comments:

Post a Comment