Tuesday, May 7, 2019

Artistic Design

Why is he taking that flame lighter to the door? I wondered. Then a couple of days later, I saw him doing it again,

"What are you doing?" I questioned my husband. Turning, he showed me a dangling, almost invisible, gossamer thread with a singed end. Then I realized it was  part of a spider web he had been running into every morning.

I didn't think much about it till I opened the door a few days later and was met with a perfect work of art glistening in the morning sun. Charlotte's Web! I exclaimed. The octagonal, meticulously constructed shape with evenly spaced strands of silk  was ready to snag any hapless fly or other insect that had the misfortune to become the spider's breakfast.

Before I knew it my hair was entangled with the sticky, clinging web. No matter how many times it is torn or sizzled down, a new web appears the next morning!

Proverbs 30:24-28 says, "There are four things which are little on the earth, but they are exceeding wise: The ants are a people not strong, Yet they prepare their food in the summer; The rock badgers are a feeble folk, Yet they make their homes in the crags; The locusts have no king, Yet they advance in ranks; The spider skillfully grasps with his hands, and it is in kings'  palaces."

By observing these small creatures, we can learn persistence, industry, resilience, and order. But I do wish Charlotte would make her web somewhere else!





No comments:

Post a Comment