Saturday, April 13, 2019

The Glory is in the Giving

"Your husband just paid for our lunch," the girl standing there with her mother said to me as I was waiting at our table for Howard to bring our food.

"What did you say?" I asked,  not being sure I heard her right.

 "Your husband paid for our lunch,'  this time spoken from the mother.

"Oh, he just heard a sermon on generosity," I laughed.

After they left and we were eating, I remarked, "So you bought their lunch?" to which Howard explained,  "They didn't have enough money on their card."

Oh, no wonder, then.  But it was remarkable that we had just heard a sermon on giving from our son who was preaching last Sunday! The title of his message was, "The Glory is in the Giving." In speaking of salvation, Jamie, as we call him, quoted Ephesians 2:8, "For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God."

God is a giver. Our speaker suggested inserting the word, "giving" for "grace," since Jesus gave His all for us.

It really made me think, for I have always been the frugal one  (as a result of wife training in the early, skimping days of our  marriage). Now that all our six kids are grown and settled, I find myself still in that pattern, while  my husband has switched roles to be just the opposite!

Watching Jamie's message again on YouTube has reminded me of how joyful it is to give, so thank you, son! Your father thanks you, too!


No comments:

Post a Comment