Thursday, April 25, 2019

Dessert Course

I took a notion to make a lemon meringue pie yesterday, since I had lemons that needed to be used. I knew Howard was watching his diet, though, as per doctor's instructions. Maybe I could take it to church to go with the meal tonight, I thought.

Getting out the lemons and all the ingredients, I remembered to take the pie crust from the fridge, only to realize in consternation that my favorite glass pie pan was in the refrigerator holding a left-over apple pie. I would have to use the smaller one with straighter sides, I decided, doubting now the possibility of taking it to church.

Taking a peek into the  oven to see how the  pie crust was holding out, I was dismayed to see that the crust had largely crumpled down into the pan! Horrors! I pulled it out and straightened the sides the best I could, but I knew it was pretty hopeless. All that wasted time, and I might have to eat it myself!

Resignedly, I poured the filling into the crust and topped it with meringue. It came out looking okay, but I knew the filling had run to the side on part of it. Howard wanted a piece anyway, so I gave him a small sliver with one for me. It tasted good, but I couldn't keep it around the house, I realized.

Resolutely, I took it to church anyway, after cutting it into small slices. Once in a while, I glanced at the dessert table, but I couldn't tell anyone was taking any, except for one man who was determinedly scooping up a piece.

Later, I spotted a couple in pre-service, and went over to chat with them. I started to tell them about my pie disaster, when my friend exclaimed, "That was yours? That was delicious!" I was still deprecating it, but she shook her head and insisted it was yummy!

Then after church, I ran into the gentleman I'd noticed getting a slice, and I kidded him, saying, "So you liked my pie?" to which he replied emphatically, "Yes! That was good!"

So next time I will use the right pan, or maybe buy another, with the encouragement of bringing home an empty dish!

No comments:

Post a Comment