Wednesday, July 6, 2016

The Right Place at the Right Time

The right place at the right time.  Have you ever experienced this?  Sometimes it seems that God just works it out that something happens to your benefit when you are at the right place at the right time, although maybe accidentally on your part.

Something like that happened in an interesting account in II Kings.  After Elisha had healed the Shunamite woman's son, he warned her that a famine was coming and that she should go to some other place where there was food.  This she did, staying in the country of the Philistines for seven years, until the famine ended.

Then she came back to her country and desired to reclaim her house and property.
In verse 8:4, we find Gehazi, Elisha's servant, being called upon by the king to tell of the miracles performed by his master. As he was recounting them, he looked up and saw the Shunammite woman, who had come to the king to petition her cause.

"Why, there's the woman whose son was healed by Elisha!" he exclaimed to the king.

The Bible verses tell the story: (3) "And it came to pass at the seven years' end, that the woman returned out of the land of the Philistines: and she went forth to cry unto the king for her house and for her land. (4) And the king talked with Gehazi the servant of the man of God, saying, Tell me, I pray thee all the great things that Elisha hath done.

(5) And it came to pass as he was telling the king how he had restored a dead body to life, that, behold, the woman, whose son he had restored to life, cried to the king for her house and for her land. And Gehazi said, My lord, O king, this is the woman, and this is her son, whom Elisha restored to life.

(6) And when the king asked the woman, she told him. So the king appointed  unto her a certain officer, saying, Restore all that was hers, and all the fruits of the field since the day she left the land, even until now."

She was in the right place at the right time! Even after an absence of seven years!  An accident? No, I believe it was a divine appointment.  God had not forgotten her good deed in giving the prophet a place to stay in her home.

The next time you just "happen" to meet someone, or circumstances unexpectedly come together in your favor as a result of a "chance" happening, just reflect on how God cares for you and wants the best for you!

As a teenager, I was walking across the church lawn late one afternoon on my way to the evening service.  Our family  had recently started attending church after the tragic loss of my young brother. I had no idea that a young man sitting in his car noticed me.  I had not seen him at church before, but my husband says that's when he became interested in me.  He was in the right place at the right time and so was I! Soon one of my girlfriends told me he liked me  and arranged for us to meet.  The rest is history!

No comments:

Post a Comment