Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Massacre!

"Mom! I just witnessed the most horrible thing!" our son's alarmed voice came over the phone.  Knowing he lives near a busy highway, I said with dread, "Oh, no! Was it a car wreck?"

"No! I just saw the pigs eat our little turkey!" I was in shock! We knew two of the young turkeys we had raised from babies had disappeared with no trace, but is this what had happened?

"They each one had hold of a wing and pulled it apart! I was yelling and screaming at them but there was nothing I could do!" I could hear the anguish of my tender-hearted son.  He had never been raised around animals and didn't know pigs would do this, while I remembered as a child seeing our duck's feet sticking out of our pig's mouth!

Greg had decided just days ago that the four turkeys were big enough now to be out of their cage and forage with the hens. Then they started disappearing! We had so enjoyed the two pigs, and I saved table scraps for them every day.  Now I was angry! The cannibals!  Maybe that's what happened to missing chickens we were blaming on the dog!

Still, you can't blame animals for being animals.  And pigs are carnivorous. We just like to look at their cute side (as babies) and expect them to behave as we see fit. It reminds me of a scene in the Lion King movie where the lion tried to resist eating animals, when all he could see was steaks when he looked at them!

Or the illustration of a boy putting a snake inside his shirt to keep it warm after the snake's pitiful pleas that it was cold.  "Why did you bite  me?" the boy cried later, and the snake's reply was "You knew I was a snake when  you picked me up!"

As Christians, we are admonished in 1 Peter 5:8, "Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour.

But someday there will be harmony in creation, as promised in the Bible, when "The wolf also shall dwell with the lamb, and the leopard shall lie down with the kid; and the calf and the young lion and the fatling together; and a little child shall lead them. And the cow and the bear shall feed; their young ones shall lie down together; and a little child shall lead them," Isaiah 11:6-7.

And pigs won't eat turkeys!



No comments:

Post a Comment