Monday, July 25, 2016

Dishpan Hands!

I needed a dishpan. I was tired of the water leaking out of the sink when I was washing dishes.   Walking around Dollar General, I spotted a dish drainer, but there were no dishpans to go with it.  Finally I approached the cashier and asked, "Do you have any dishpans?" to which she replied, looking puzzled, "I don't know what you mean by dishpan!"

Drawing a picture in the air of the shape, I said, "A plastic pan that fits in the sink!" Then I was told if they had anything like that they would be in the farthest corner of the store. They had several, and when I took it to the counter, I pointed to the label and said, "See, it says "Dishpan!" The tired cashier said she used that to soak her feet!

Obviously, the young woman didn't wash dishes by hand. I know I'm old-fashioned, but there is something therapeutic about washing dishes.  This morning I looked at the two bottles of detergent on the sink.  One that I didn't particularly like had a lot left, but the other, more efficient one, was getting low.  Maybe I'll just mix them together, I thought.  I did, then a full bottle meant I wouldn't have to buy detergent so soon! It was funny, because one dishwashing liquid was blue, and the other was yellow, so now I have a pretty bottle of green liquid that is quite satisfactory!

In the Bible, we are taught how we all need one another. In Paul's discourse in I Corinthians chapter 12, he uses the analogy of the human body to describe Christians' relationship to each other. We get the idea that no part of our body is more important than the other, no matter how lowly or "comely," as the Bible states, nor is any gift or believer.  We have a mutual need for and dependence on each other.

During an important battle, when the patriarch Moses held up his hand, Israel prevailed over Amalek, but when he let down his hand, the enemy prevailed.  Exodus 17:12, "But Moses's hands were heavy; and they took a stone, and put it under him and he sat thereon; and Aaron and Hur stayed up his hands, the one on the one side and the other on the  other side; and his hands were steady until the going down of the sun."

My kitchen soap, blended together, helps me get an important job done.  I may have dishpan hands, but I can lift them to help others and to praise the Lord!














































































































































































































































































































































No comments:

Post a Comment