Monday, July 25, 2016

Look in the Book!

"Bring me the cell phone!" my husband was calling from his desk.  We had just gotten home and I was starting on a quick supper for us. I stopped what I was doing and went to get the phone from my purse.

"Here it is," I said and went back to the kitchen.  Pretty soon I heard him yelling again for the phone. "I just gave it to you!" I reminded him.  He said he couldn't find it, so I helped him look.  Then I went back and looked in my purse, just in case.  No phone. After several searches, I announced I was fixing supper and we would look for it later, though we had looked everywhere.

After supper I thought about the misplaced phone.  "I'm going to find that phone!" I said determinedly as I got up from the table.  I looked all around the room where the desk is with no success.   Then I prayed, "Lord, help me find that phone!" Just then I saw a black edge of something peeking out of a Bible.  I opened it and there it was! The phone!  I must have placed it on the open Bible and Howard had closed the Book!

How many times have I lost things and couldn't find them until I at last prayed!  It has happened over and over!  Why don't I ask God to help me first thing? I ask myself.  I just automatically start using logic as to where I had something last, or where would be the obvious place, and on and on.

It must be a little lesson on trust from the Heavenly Father, a lesson to call on Him, or else he is looking on in fond amusement, patiently waiting to be asked! Jeremiah 33:3 says, "Call unto me, and I will answer thee, and shew thee great and mighty things, which thou knowest not."

I shared this testimony in Sunday School class yesterday, and when the teacher was praying over requests and praise reports, he said among other things, "And we thank you that the lost was found." Of course! It struck me that that was Jesus's sole mission on earth! To find and save the lost!

"For the Son of man is come to save that which was lost." Matthew 18:11. These words of Jesus are followed by His illustration of the lost sheep and the shepherd leaving the ninety and nine to find that one.

When we lost our phone, a means of communication, we felt disconnected. But there it was, in the pages of the Bible, a place we can always find connection with God!

No comments:

Post a Comment