Saturday, January 24, 2015

Sustenance

"Does anyone need a handout sheet?" The leader of our Bible study was asking.  There had been enough at our table for all, but when another person sat down, she didn't have one.  I had given mine to her, thinking I would just look on with my husband, so I didn't raise my hand.

"Over here," the lady sitting next to me motioned, pointing to me.  The teacher came back with a few of the lesson leaflets and handed one to  me.

"I don't have to have one, if you're short," I said, to which he said, taking me off guard, "No, I've always been this height."  I couldn't help laughing at his quick wit. We had been enjoying this study on prayer with the video and discussion following with much class participation.

After class, Howard went up and spoke to the leader.  We had heard he had a restaurant, and we wanted to find out where it was.  He gave us a card with the internet info on it, and after church we looked it up on the computer.  It is a restaurant specializing in organic foods  from farm-fresh ingredients.  We were happy to see they get their produce (and I think beef, too), from the heritage farm where we enjoyed buying fresh milk last summer.

We were thinking about that restaurant the other evening when we ate at a steak-house in a neighboring town, using one of our Christmas gift cards. We had a marvelous steak, but I must have over-did it a bit with the rich, delicious treat, because I came down with stomach pains the next day, and still felt off this morning.  Lying around bored and lonely, I tried to call my two daughters, but neither of them answered.

Feeling sorry for myself and missing my family, I was in a funk with a case of the blues.  After a pity party for myself, I forced myself up to get dressed.  Just as I came out of the bathroom, the phone rang. It was one of my dear daughters returning my call, and after a good visit, the other daughter called.  I was ashamed of my reaction earlier, cheered up and had a great day attending our 9-year-old granddaughter's basket ball tournament,  which her team won as champions!

Then tonight a sweet teen granddaughter from Georgia called me with a question about a scripture. After I gave her my best advice, we talked about her job and how proud we are of her.  She said, "I can always count on you, Mimi," which warmed my heart.   I told her I was sorry we couldn't live close to them like we did when she was little.  It warmed my heart even more when her soft voice over the phone assured me, "I'll never forget you, Mimi."

I think God was looking down on me in my dismal state of despondency, and granted me a good day and phone calls from loved ones! Maybe we'll even go to the church member's restaurant soon! Food from God's green earth nourishes the body like hearing from children nourishes the soul! 


No comments:

Post a Comment