Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Clean Sweep

We have the cutest new gadget!  It's like the little, round robot machines that vacuum carpets by themselves, except ours dusts the bare floor! I was a little skeptical at first, thinking it would run over the edges of the rugs, but the slightest ridge makes it change directions. I had fun with it yesterday, but not as much fun as the little dog at our house that barked at it, nosed it suspiciously and tried to keep up with  it.

Our son's family has the vacuuming robot.  I saw the little round device blinking in the corner of the bedroom where we slept while at their house.  I had wondered how they kept their entirely carpeted upstairs so clean, but they just turn the little monster loose to busily do the  work of keeping the almost-white carpet pristine fresh.

Somehow this made me think of what scientists have discovered recently about the brain.  How it has a function that acts as a little vacuum cleaner to sweep away plaque and debris while you are asleep. Apparently this is activated by dream activity.  There is some evidence that dreaming helps prevent Alzheimer's disease in this way.  Of course, to dream, you have to be asleep, which is one reason sleep is so important to our health.

(I once heard a Bible teacher say that the scripture in Proverbs 29:18, "Where there is no vision the people perish," could be applied to dreaming, which keeps us healthy.)

I was also reminded of the ever-vigilant Holy Spirit in Christians.  If we are sensitive  to the Spirit's guidance, we will recognize the nudge of conviction when we have done something wrong, repent of it, and have a clean conscience.

Jesus  said in John 16:7-8, "Nevertheless I tell you the truth, It is expedient that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you. (8) And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment."

We need eight hours of sleep to be healthy, and we had to plug in our little appliance for eight hours of charging to use it.  But He is constant.  Jesus said, "I am with you always." It is we who have to stay plugged in to the Holy Spirit. He helps us keep our house clean!

No comments:

Post a Comment