Saturday, January 10, 2015

Basket Case

I wasn't sure I would make it to our granddaughter's 11:00 a.m. basketball game, since we had to get our son to the airport and I was to get my hair cut. Nevertheless, we found time and were soon seated on the bleachers watching the 4th graders play.

Not knowing much about the rules of the game, I mostly just watched and enjoyed the energy of the girls as they tirelessly bounded from one end of the court to the other, pony tails flying. Frequently the teams merged into precise formations with a girl guarding the opposing player with upraised arms behind her, signalling to catch the ball.

I would have tired out in the first quarter, but their strength and vitality amazed me as they shot baskets, blocked players, dribbled and passed the ball like pros, only occasionally getting correction from their coaches. I found myself laughing and smiling with the sheer joy of watching the determined, purposeful youth in action. It was positively fun!

After a stop for lunch, Howard asked me for the bank card I had used at the salon. "I gave it to you!" I responded. He said he didn't have it, so I double-checked my purse, to no avail. We looked in the car, checking the seats and floor. Oh well, I thought, when I get home I will empty everything and locate it.

Arriving home, I said a quick prayer that the card would turn up, then I opened the door to get out. I couldn't believe my eyes! There on the ground beside the car was the flimsy card! Had it been lying there since we left over 3 hours before? I didn't see how that was possible, with the cold wind blowing on the light-weight card! That was the quickest answer to prayer I'd ever had!

God is a prayer-answering God! During recent weeks I have been fretting and concerned over some family situations, stewing and worrying in indecision. What a waste that was! When the time drew near for resolutions, the problems were solved smoothly and like clockwork in God's perfect timing!

The ball players I watched today had their obstacles, but I didn't notice any anxiety as they doggedly kept on keeping on! Their coaches were hovering nearby, guiding and keeping an eye on them. Just as God has been there all along for me, faithfully answering my prayers!

No comments:

Post a Comment