Monday, January 5, 2015

Jesus, the Light of the World

Saturday I spent the day taking down Christmas decorations, boxing them up and handing them down to Howard to store in the basement. I had left them up as long as possible, enjoying the way the colorful ornamentation and bright lights lit up corners of the room, bringing cheer to the dim house during sunless days and cold nights.

"There!" I said when we finished, "All traces of Christmas have been removed!" Of course, I meant just the trappings of the holidays, not the Reason for the Christmas celebration. Jesus and His light are always with us! He guides and takes care of us every day!

Just today, the phone rang with the news that my husband had had a flat tire on the truck. He wanted me to drive to where he was to bring him the lug wrench that was in our car. "Where are you?" I questioned. Since he was in the parking lot of an auto supply store, I suggested he try to borrow a lug wrench from them. When he didn't call back, I assumed that's what he did.

A good while later Howard called and said that all had been taken care of. "Did you borrow a lug wrench?" I asked, to which he replied, "Yes, but then the jack was too short for the truck!" I wondered what happened, and he said a friend was passing by and saw him there and happened to have a farm jack! A coincidence? No, I prefer to think it was God's guidance! Why else would this friend (whom we hadn't seen in months) just happen to drive by at that moment, just happen to look that way, and just happen to have what was needed?

Due to job changes, child care arrangements have had to be made in our youngest son's household for their one-year-old, while the bigger children will trade homeschooling for public school. As much as I wanted to fill in for them, distance and circumstances prevented it, and I spent many moments of concern about the change.

I was reassured and surprised to learn that little Isaac had been spending time without Mommy in the church nursery. When I asked his daddy how he was doing with that, Jamie told me he had adjusted just fine. "If another toddler cries, Isaac goes over and pats him and offers him a toy," he said! What a mature little 13-month-old! The peace of and light of Jesus is surely upon him!

I was touched today when I heard a phone interview of the man who answered the door to the bleeding, crying 7-year-old survivor of a plane crash. Asked how he thought the little girl found his house over a quarter mile away in the dark and through ravines and brambles, he said, "Well, I have a security light outside in the yard, and I think she just followed the light."

Jesus said, "Follow Me." There is safety and security provided for us if we just follow the Light.

No comments:

Post a Comment