Wednesday, October 29, 2014

The Unexpected

Ouch! I dropped the lid of the pot after it had slid and released a spurt of steam right on to my inner wrist! A steam burn! Oh, no! I hate kitchen burns! Once before I had splashed scalding water from a cup in the microwave and got a painful burn on my hand. It hurt all night, as I remember.

I quickly grabbed some ice and made a cold compress. It helped relieve the pain momentarily, but I was soon running cold water over the ugly red splotch. It didn't seem severe enough to go to the doctor, but after more than an hour of temporary relief then recurring, stinging, discomfort, we headed for the drugstore.

"Try to get something with aloe vera," I said as Howard went in and I waited in the car nursing my wound. "Ask the pharmacist what's best!" I called after him. I knew not to put butter or cream on it, the old-fashioned remedies our mothers had used.

He came back out in just a few minutes. "He said this is the best thing for it," Howard said, pulling a small spray can from a plastic bag. I lost no time in spraying the antiseptic/pain killer on my wrist. The relief was dramatic! Instantly the pain was gone! Why hadn't I sought help sooner? I was able to sleep all night with no pain, and it hasn't come back. Thank you, Lord!

Last night Howard attended a revival service in a neighboring town. As the hour grew late and he still wasn't home, I became concerned, wishing I had gone with him. I remembered how not long ago he had had trouble seeing while driving at night. But that was before he had cataract surgery last summer, I reminded myself. He had put off the dreaded procedure for months, years even. Then he was astonished at the immediate clearer vision resulting from the quick surgery!

I needn't have worried; my husband made it home safe and sound, bubbling over with enthusiasm at the uplifting meeting.

How many times have we put off something needful, either for inconvenience, fear, or neglect? We may have always intended to visit the sick person, take care of a task, or fix something broken, and suddenly it was too late.

One thing that must not be procrastinated is making a decision for Christ. "Behold, now is the day of salvation," I Corinthians 6:2. Hebrews 2:3 says, "How shall we escape, if we neglect so great salvation?" Some things are too important to ignore! And the relief is dramatic!

No comments:

Post a Comment