Sunday, October 12, 2014

Hearth and Home

"I like the fall, the mist and all, I love the night owl's lonely call, the wailing sound of wind around." So starts the poem by Dixie Wilson, one I learned and loved in high school. Yesterday was that kind of day. But instead of being gloomy, the chilly, misty weather was invigorating--fun, even.

There's not much to do in our small town, and most of the festivals are over. We decided to treat ourselves to lunch at our favorite 50s diner. And a treat it was! The best burgers, followed by their signature chocolate shake in a fluted glass. Hubby and I shared, but we should have gotten two! I almost felt like ordering the pictured chocolate/strawberry sundae served in a cardboard classic car!

It was just a little way down the street to a fancy-shmantzy boutique I wanted to visit. The wares ranged from a decorative burlap Thanksgiving towel ($5.00) to a little boy's outfit (I have an 11-month old grandson) at $56.00. Maybe next time. Anyway, it was fun to look.

"I have to go to the hardware store," my husband announced. I asked what he needed, and he said, "A screw." What? A single screw? Well, we were bored, so a poor excuse is better than none. I went in with him, since they usually have some housekeeping knick-knack at give-away prices. Last time, I came home with a ceramic frog with a gaping mouth that holds my scouring pad. This time, a whole stack of cleaning sponges were only $1.50. On the way out with our purchases, we were handed a bag of free popcorn!

Nothing like a bag of hot, buttery popcorn, munched as we rode along, to take away the chill of a grey day. We noticed a couple of trees with leaves turning yellow, the rain and wind sending a smattering of them scurrying along in the roadside gutter.

We had a couple of options for a Saturday night activity. One, a free western swing band concert, or two, a gospel singing group that we wanted to hear. Bad weather was forecast, however, and staying home was very appealing, especially with the warmth of fireplace on a cold, disagreeable night.

The rest of the poem goes, "I like the gray November day, and dead, bare boughs that coldly sway against my pane. I like the rain. I like to sit and laugh at it, and tend my cozy fire a bit. I like the fall, the mist and all." We stayed home.

No comments:

Post a Comment