Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Royalty: Encore

In a blog a year ago, I talked about my granddaughter Corrin being nominated for Homecoming Court. She hoped, though really didn't expect, to win, not having campaigned or given out candy like the other girls. Nevertheless, much to her surprise, she was voted in and got to serve as a 2013 Homecoming Maid. I made the remark that all my granddaughters are princesses, and I wouldn't be surprised if one were queen next year.

Guess what! It happened! Corrin was overwhelmed when her name was called out as 2014 Homecoming Queen! Since I couldn't be there, the plan was for me to watch the suspenseful moment on Face Time. Somehow that proved difficult, so my grandson Reid decided to video the ceremony and message it to me. The video started just after she had been announced winner, but I got to see the blue, royal ribbon with the glittering title being draped around her neck.

Photos showed the petite, brunette beauty with her hand over her mouth in shock and awe when she heard the announcement. Her humble statement she posted on Face Book under a gorgeous shot of her between two lovely friends reveals her heart: "Wow! What a surreal moment! I will treasure this forever. My gratefulness cannot be expressed through words. Speechless! All of you are incredible. Thank you all, truly!"

We are so proud of this 17-year-old young lady! She has a very determined spirit and a strong faith in God which has strengthened her throughout the past 18-month ordeal she has endured. Since a tragic four-wheeler accident when she was 15, she has undergone several surgeries and bone grafts.

This in preparation for dental implants to restore her beautiful smile lost with several front teeth in the accident. Her hope is that all will be completed by the time she enrolls in college next year!

Meanwhile, in addition to her senior classes, Corrin plays on the golf team, works as a lifeguard for a senior aquatic center (which also involves cleaning and supervising the place), spends two school afternoons weekly at the hospital where she is in a nursing/basics program looking toward her career goal as a PA in the medical field.

My granddaughter has a servant's heart, obvious from her earliest days. Jesus said in Luke 22:26, "But he that is greatest among you, let him be the younger; and he that is chief, as he that doth serve." Now that's royalty!

No comments:

Post a Comment