Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Just Do It!

"Casting down imaginations,  and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.  And having in a readiness to revenge (punish) all disobedience, when your obedience is fulfilled," II Corinthians 10:5-6.

We had been discussing this and other scriptures in a Bible study last night.  The teacher was stressing that "vain imaginations"  and thoughts could apply to worries over sickness, lack, etc., that one may have, when the "knowledge of God"  includes healing and provision.  He said when we "punish" those thoughts, we banish them.

"Maybe those thoughts could also apply to our feelings of inadequacy," I ventured.  "And we're afraid to 'punish' them, or negate them and claim the promise of  'I can do all  things through Christ which strentheneth me,' because then we might have to do something!"

"That's it!" someone exclaimed.  "I have been dealing with that in a friend I have been mentoring on the path of salvation.  She seems to accept and believe everything, but when it comes to making the decision for Christ, she says, 'I can't.'  She seems to be afraid she will have to do something!"

I'm afraid many times I talk myself out of doing something I would actually like to do.  Like having someone over for dinner.  I am full of excuses: Too much work, house isn't ready, have to shop, too tired, ad infinitum. But sometimes I just take the plunge and do it anyway, and I am never sorry.  It always turns out to be a blessing, both to me and to them.  I get the stimulation of company and people are drawn closer together.

Take yesterday, when  I wanted to invite our son's family over for Sunday lunch, something we used to do quite often.  There were four of them and two of us, so six was a good number.  Then they adopted two little girls, making eight of us.  Then their college daughter invited her girl cousin to live with her, so that was nine.  Factor in our granddaughter's boyfriend and their other grandmother, who lives alone, so our table settings were for eleven!

It may have been a little tumultuous, but we managed and had a very good time!  Everyone ate heartily, and the food stretched.  Then after dinner I said to my granddaughter,  "Allison, shall we remove the tablecloth and play that game over there?" indicating a word-spelling card game they had given me once that I had just re-discovered.

So instead of crowding into our small living room, several of us laughed, guessed and puzzled for an hour still around the table while the men snored companionably in the living room.  I'm glad I overcame my imaginations and was able to practice my gift of hospitality!

No comments:

Post a Comment