Friday, February 14, 2014

I Heart You!

Happy Valentines!  Standing at the sink washing dishes this morning, I was startled to see over my shoulder my husband leaning toward me with a beautiful, blue bouquet!  On closer look, I laughed to see it was a feather duster he was trying to put away!  I didn't know he'd been dusting! Other ladies may get flowers, but I get a dusted living room (maybe he's making way for flowers later today)!

My spouse can be unexpectedly thoughtful sometimes, even if in unconventional ways.  I bade him goodbye the other morning as he headed out, and I had barely gotten into the shower when the phone rang.  "Go unlock the back door!" Howard said urgently.  "I forgot to  put out the trash!" Later, I asked why he made a special trip back for that, and he said he did it for me!? (Then I realized he thought it was Thursday, trash pick-up day, but it was only Wednesday.)

The other night at church our pastor asked which teaching our church backgrounds stressed more: Purity, or the fruit of the Spirit?  He was making an analogy of Christians' conduct of separation from the world and the "purity" of the Pharisees.  They were focused more on keeping rules than caring for people. It got me thinking about Galatians 5:22-23. "But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering (patience), gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance."

Being slowed by roadwork on the highway yesterday, Howard stopped our progress and motioned for a vehicle coming out of a service station driveway to go in front of us. "Why did you do that?" I questioned impatiently.  Then I remembered the fruit of the Spirit and my resolve to exercise them. Maybe he was thinking of that, too.

Later, at a store checkout, the clerk rang up my total and said, "Would you like to add a donation to the American Heart Association to that?"  I paused for a moment, then, remembering that love is a fruit of the Spirit, I said, "Sure," and included a donation.

"What are they doing?" I puzzled aloud as we drove down the street and witnessed a kind of dance between a postman and a dog.  A big bulldog repeatedly advanced toward him, then retreated as the mail carrier held up his hand.  "He's afraid of the dog," I said.

Howard immediately wheeled around and asked if we could help by calling the police or something. "I've called animal control, and I've sprayed him several times, but he doesn't seem to mind," the mailman said.  I could see how he would feel vulnerable, especially since the weather had warmed and he was wearing short pants!  "Thanks for your help, though!" he said.

No doubt the letter carrier was delivering lots of valentines.  Valentine hearts are for love, but the many expressions of love and kindness given today need not be limited to February 14.  The fruit of the Spirit is in season  all year long!

No comments:

Post a Comment