Monday, February 10, 2014

Iron Sharpens Iron

My husband just couldn't resist the tantalizing commercial he saw on TV advertising "the sharpest knife in the world."  After all, he grew up in his father's meat market, and worked for awhile in the trade of  butcher early in our marriage.  Even today, he despises a dull knife. So before I knew it, he had ordered one!

Suffice it to say the knife did not meet his expectations.  In fact, it wouldn't cut at all!  However, they had enclosed a knife sharpener, which still did not produce a satisfactory result.  I heard Howard complaining about it to a friend one day, who said, "Bring it to me.  I can sharpen it for you."  This man is an avid sportsman and  gun collector who fancies collecting knives as well, so Howard took him up on the offer.

Now we have a very sharp knife in the kitchen drawer.  His friend uses some kind of belt grinder to keep his knives on edge, it seems.  Not only that, the friend sent home a second knife, kept in a protective case, which Howard looks forward to using filleting fish.  Now that's a good friend!

I was reminded of the verse in the Bible that says, "Iron sharpeneth iron; so a man sharpeneth the countenance of his friend," Proverbs 27:17.  Well, my husband's eyes light up and he comes home with a brightened countenance when they go out for coffee!

Last night was the weekly meeting at our pastor's house for a training session.  As we discussed and commented on scriptures and the book we are studying, ideas, opinions and experiences that brought new insight were shared.  We were sharpening one another's countenances with the lively discussions!

The same is true for our Sunday School class.  Yesterday the teacher said with interest, "I had never thought about it that way," after I shared a pertinent point.  (I hope she wasn't just being diplomatic!)  Small groups like this where friends meet are beneficial, and even seem to have the Lord's blessing!  Malachi 3:16 says, "Then they that feared the Lord spake often to one another: and the Lord hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for those that feared the Lord, and thought upon his name."

The next verse says, "And they shall be mine, saith the Lord of hosts, in that day when I make up my jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him."  Quite a reward for living the Christian life and enjoying fellowship along the way!

No comments:

Post a Comment