Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Do as Unto the Lord

"Everything you do is ministry!" my husband announced when he came home from Bible Study last night. "I've come to the conclusion that everything a Christian does is ministry," he reiterated.

"Does that mean when I cook, it's ministry?" I asked.  He said it was.  Wow!  Maybe he  means it was ministry to him!  So that means when I got up this morning and made rolled-out biscuits, gravy, ham, eggs and grits, it was ministry!  (I know it was good!)

And when he fell asleep after breakfast on this snow day, it was ministry when I pulled off the sheets, did a load of laundry, cleaned the kitchen and made the bed?  I know it was ministry when he cleaned the bathroom for me (while I was making a pot of homemade chicken soup for lunch).

I suppose it was kind of a domestic ministry when I spent a confined afternoon emptying out a bureau, cleaning every drawer, sorting socks, pajamas and shirts and arranging them in neat stacks.

Was it ministry when I shared a video on Facebook of Chinese Christians receiving a shipment of Bibles and their awed, emotional response?  Or when I took a stand online against abortion by letting my stance be known?  Or gave a kind response to or agreed to pray for someone in need among my internet contacts?

There are many ways to minister, and if I can go by my husband's response, the chili I made for supper was ministry ("This is the best chili you ever made!").

Our daughter called last night asking for prayer for her university son.  An overhead pipe broke in his dorm room and flooded and ruined everything. Not only that, he has come down with flu, besides having to resettle in barren, temporary quarters.  Prayer is a ministry, too, one in which we are glad to bear one another's burdens and lift them up to God in believing faith.  Probably the most important ministry of all.  

No comments:

Post a Comment