Sunday, September 8, 2013

Via Point

"Program the address into the GPS," my husband said. We were looking for an estate sale and trying to locate an unfamiliar street. I was searching for an address in the 200 block, but the GPS gave an address on the 3600 block. The only thing there was a trailer park, and estate sales are not usually held there!

We decided to return home and look up the address on the internet again. As Howard pulled it up, the phone rang and I went out to chat with my daughter. "Did you find it?" I asked, going back into the room.

"Yes," he answered wryly, "It's in Blackwell." Blackwell! How did I miss that when scanning the directions? That was 15 miles away! Well, if we left now, I thought, we would get there just as everything was marked half price. It would be lunch time, but we maybe we could get something to eat afterward.

The sale was entertaining, and in a neighborhood Howard remembered as once quite grand. He pointed out the house of a wealthy oil magnate, now grown rather seedy with time. The first thing I saw at the sale was a cute, stuffed scarecrow doll that I could fit in with my fall porch decor I had begun. About two feet high, it would be perfect propped on a bench next to a pumpkin!

I also picked up a colorful patchwork quilt for a song that I draped over a porch rocker when I got home. Howard found sawhorses and gadgets men find fascinating, so we left with a feeling of satisfaction to find a place to eat.

After discounting Pizza Hut and Braum's, we stopped at a small corner cafe which looked a little off-beat, but interesting. The lunch was delicious! I couldn't eat all of mine, so I got a box and Howard enjoyed the rest of it at supper.

We had enjoyed the pleasant day. Every day we visit the area where we grew up fills me with nostalgia, from passing the fair grounds (Kay County Free Fair--September 10-15, the sign read), to the ambiance of the rural scenery and the memories of our youth there.

Now we have joy in seeing our grandchildren as youth and young adults. Just tonight we got the happy news that our 16-year-old granddaughter, Corrin, was named First Runner-Up in the Miss Woodland pageant at her high school. She was a vision of startling beauty in the pictures she posted on Facebook. It seems impossible that just three months ago she was seriously injured in an accident and is making such a marvelous recovery.

She gives God the glory. Her mother shared that in the interview segment of the contest, Corrin was asked what is her favorite song. She named a praise and worship hymn. When they asked why that one, the spiritually attuned teen told them it had comforted her after the accident. She is going in the right direction, and with the Word of God as her road map, that is the only GPS she needs!

No comments:

Post a Comment