Monday, September 2, 2013

Good Day

Wow! Talk about Oklahoma's seasons being right on time! For weeks we have had a blazing sun and sweltering summer temperatures, with 104 on Saturday, then we wake up Sunday morning, September 1, and the sky is blanketed with heavy cloud cover, the air actually cooler and with a hint of moisture. No rain, but today dawned clear and cool, so beautiful that I set about household chores with new energy.

We had nothing planned for this Labor Day Monday, what with a busy weekend behind us, but as I heard our lawnmower rev up and knew Howard had tackled the grass, instead of just making the bed, I pulled off the sheets and replaced them with my favorite yellow set, matching my cheery mood. Then my eyes fell upon my favorite dress tossed on a chair awaiting hand washing, something so easy for me to put off. I sudsed out the dress and matching shrug, hanging the dress to line dry and laying the sweater to dry flat.

When I had put the sheets in the laundry, did the dishes and straightened the house, I had a sudden inspiration. What a lovely day for a picnic! I remembered a friend saying how good oven-fried chicken is, and I had a pack of drumsticks in the fridge. While they baked, I made some deviled eggs, bread-and-butter sandwiches, sliced some fresh tomatoes and packaged them for the picnic basket. With iced tea, buttered corn-on-the-cob, grapes and cookies, we had the makings of a regal feast!

Sitting in Cann Gardens under the beautiful gazebo, I thought what a genteel way to have a picnic! Perfectly manicured lawns and fall flowers were all around us, the huge, lovely trees providing cool shade and our wicker-basket lunch spread out on the slatted octagonal table that was topped with my red-checked table mats. Afterward, a short walk ensued until an inviting bench beckoned us to sit and make a phone call to our daughter in Tennessee. She regaled us with stories of her amazing grand babies, whom we hope to go see in a few weeks.

Home again for a rest, after which I find I still have inspiration enough to transfer a potted chrysanthemum to a planter box, I look forward to sitting on the screened porch to contemplate this zestful, restful, not-too-laborious Labor Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment