Saturday, September 7, 2013

Tick-Tock!

Grandparents' Day! I almost forgot, even though I'd had the notice posted on my fridge for weeks. I'd had a mental note that it was for 2:30, but when I rechecked a little before two, I saw that it was 2:00-3:00 p.m. We hurried and got ready, but we didn't get there until 2:40. Oh, well, it was come and go, I reasoned.

It looked as if everyone were gone, and an attendant was wiping tables and cleaning up when we walked in. The kids came in, and as we visited over cookies and green koolaid, I heard the other lone grandparent there say, "There weren't many here this year."

The helper replied, "I think it might have been because we sent the announcements out so long ago that people forgot about it." Oh, that made me feel better! "We only had about half as many as last year," she went on, "and most of them were here right at 2:00 o'clock."

Speaking of clocks, we were in Cracker Barrel later than evening, and after I glanced at the beautiful, if premature, Christmas selections, I headed over to the clearance corner of the old country store. Scanning the merchandise, I saw something that caught my eye. A reproduction antique scale clock! "Vintage farmhouse kitchen scale converted to a modern functioning clock," the words on the side of the box read.

Just then Howard came looking for me. "Look what I found!" I exclaimed. He saw the discount sign and told me to get it if I wanted it. The stressed-looking, barn-red painted finish and rectangular tray on top combine for a very attractive clock! The bold, schoolroom numbers on the on the face are just what grandparents need, too!

The new addition is a nice accent in my dining room on a tall, wooden stand topped with a checkered cloth of the same color. (I didn't have room in the kitchen for any more bric-a-brac!) I take that back. There may be an estate sale this weekend, and who knows what we may bring home. After all, every day now is Grandparents' Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment