Monday, September 9, 2013

Ebenezer (Not Scrooge)

"Then Samuel took a stone, and set it between Mizpeh and Shen, and called the name of it Ebenezer, saying, hitherto hath the Lord helped us," I Samuel 7:12.

The pastor was preaching from this verse, asking if any knew what the word "Ebenezer," means. He explained it as a monument, or a stone of help. Samuel was using it to call to remembrance what the Lord had done there on that date, which was to help the Israelites defeat their enemies, the Philistines.

Instances were given of things everyone employs, tangible or intangible, that bring back memories: A song, a fragrance, a keepsake--all help us remember something special. Jesus used the last supper as a time to make an indelible memory by instituting the act of communion with the bread and wine, signifying his blood and death on the cross. It was an Ebenezer, a monument.

We even sang the song, "Come Thou Fount," which says in verse two, "Here I raise my Ebenezer, Hither by thy help I come; and I hope, by thy good pleasure, Safely to arrive at home. Jesus sought me when a stranger, Wandering from the fold of God; He, to rescue me from danger, Interposed His precious blood."

"When something makes a significant or life-changing impression on you, that moment could be called your Ebenezer," said the pastor, further comparing it to when a person receives Christ for salvation.

That evening several had gathered at the church for a time of prayer, and when I had to step out for a moment, my eyes caught a glimpse of a young woman sitting on a bench along the back wall holding a child on her lap. I looked again when I came
back in and saw it was not an adult, but my 8-year-old adopted granddaughter holding her 6-year-old sister!

She was cradling the child's head against her shoulder, her hand holding it firmly as she rocked back and forth, the smaller girl sprawled against her with legs dangling. Their mother was at prayer, and the little one must have gotten sleepy. I had often seen them like this when they first came to live with our son's family. After having been in several foster homes, the children had held on to each other as if their life depended on it.

In fact, their favorite game at that time was to play "baby," with the older one mothering the younger one. (We learned that when only 3 or 4 years old, big sister had cared for the baby, even changing her diapers.) The act of cuddling and rocking was their Ebenezer! Their rock of remembrance, their stone of help! It was established during their time of uncertainty and helplessness, and it seems they still return to it for comfort!

Lines from other verses of the song read, "Teach me some melodious sonnet, Sung by flaming tongues above; Here's my heart, O take and seal it; Seal it for Thy courts above." He is our Rock of Help, our Ebenezer!

No comments:

Post a Comment