Sunday, September 29, 2013

Deja vu

While out shopping on a visit to my daughter Amy's home in Georgia last week, I bought some very life-like, beautiful long-stemmed roses (complete with thorns) and was pondering about a vase for them. That night, from somewhere in the back of my mind came the nebulous memory of a very large vase I used to have.

"Rachel," I said to my 14-year-old granddaughter the next day, "Did I give that vase in the foyer to your mom?" When I saw it on a tall stand in the grandeur of a beautiful arrangement, it took on the shape of the vase of my memory.

"No, Mimi," Rachel replied, "Someone gave that to Mom when we first moved here." I mentioned that to Amy, and she told me that I had indeed given her the vase. She reminded me that I had bought it at Sam's Club several years ago and that I'd also given one to my daughter, Julie, for her birthday!

Still, I distinctly remembered having one like that and filling it with flowers. Finally my recollection cleared up and I recalled buying one for the church where my husband was pastor at the time. As church secretary, I varied the arrangements in the distinctive vase with the molded wire design following the curves in a basket-like frame.

A visit to Julie's home in Tennessee followed, and the first thing I noticed when I walked into their church was her vase! The lovely, tall urn stood empty, and immediately I knew why I had bought the flowers with the extra-long stems! "I have some roses that would look beautiful in that vase," I told her. I went to the car and got them and they do look gorgeous!

I knew I didn't have a vase that big, but the flowers, discount-priced from $8 at the fancy store to $4.49 each, were being sold for 90% off, so I got them for 45 cents apiece! How rewarding to fill the unusual vase with flowers and to know again they would be enjoyed by church-goers. Either it was a lesson in stewardship, or maybe God enjoys sharing a bargain with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment