Friday, February 1, 2013

Every Little Bit Counts

We were getting gas when a lady came out of the convenience store to get into her car beside the pumps. Suddenly I was aware that she was walking toward us and looking intentionally at us.  "I just want you  to know I agree with your bumper sticker 100 per cent!" she said to my husband. 

Well, we don't have a bumper sticker, but we do have a tag on our front bumper that reads, "GOD IS BIGGER THAN ANY PROBLEM I HAVE."  As far as I know, there is no other one in town like that, so I'm sure people recognize us by it, since we've had it over two years.  I must admit that I usually forget that it's there, but it's a silent witness, nontheless.

The other day we stopped at a parking lot so Howard could put his little scripture cards under the cars' windshield wipers.  They bear the message from Deuteronomy 31:6 that says, "Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, nor be afraid of them; for the Lord thy God, He it  is that does go with thee: he will not fail thee, nor forsake thee."  When he hands them out, people seem to appreciate them and have never refused them.

We have found ourselves singing the song "Little is Much When God is in It," lately and I believe that's true.  I bought a chocolate cake mix recently, and for a change, decided to put white frosting on it rather than the usual chocolate.  For some reason, it didn't taste as good to me as I expected, although Howard liked it, and so did the grandchildren.  What could I do with all this cake?  I cut it into squares and sent half of it home with the kids for our son's family, along with a dozen eggs from our hens.

The next day, Greg called and said, "Mom, thanks for the cake.  It was good!  Chocolate cake with white icing is my favorite kind."   I didn't know that!  I'm glad I followed the inner nudge to send it.  I had a piece myself, and suddenly it did taste good!  I had wrestled with the decision, telling myself that they probably already had cake, since their daughter loves to bake. (I read somewhere that the way to do God's will is to do the next right thing.)

Feeling a little discouraged and ineffective the other day, I prayed, "God, show me something I can do for you."  The very next day the Women's Ministry director called and asked me to speak on National Women's Day at church in a couple of weeks!  Then she said it was for the Sunday morning service!  How could I refuse, in light of my prayer?  I am shaking in my boots, but I must remember the words on Howard's card that Moses said to Joshua, "Be strong and of a good courage, fear not, for the Lord thy God is with thee!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment