Thursday, January 31, 2013

Go Light Your World

"And God said, Let there be light: and there was light, " Genesis 1:3.  How we love the light!  (Except when I'm trying to sleep, which is why I bought a sleep mask the other day. Now I have misplaced it and have to suffer through my husband's reading light or computer work at his bedroom desk.)

Almost every time we leave the house, our route takes us down a street a block over that has beautiful, old-fashioned light posts.  Not just light posts, they are more like the lamp posts of days gone by with their graceful globes and wrought iron posts.  Once a grand neighborhood, it is time-worn now, but still with several substantial mansion-like brick homes.  A peaceful sense of calm comes over me as I imagine the unhurried  past, even the times of gas lights and lamp lighters.

"Look, they have finally fixed the light," my husband remarks as we come to the intersection near our house on the way to church.  He is right.  After more than a month, city workers have finally removed the 4-way stop sign anchored by sandbags in the middle of the road, power trucks have come and gone, and the traffic signals are  working once again.  It was tiresome for all to have to stop and wait for each to take his turn at the busy intersection.  For a change I am happy to see even a red light.

The other night at our Bible study, an elderly lady spoke up.  "I have to tell you about a miracle that happened to me in church yesterday!" she said exuberantly.  "I have never been able to see the preacher unless I am practically on the front row.  If I sit anywhere else, he is just a shadow moving around." 

She went on to say that she was sitting near the back with some friends, when suddenly she realized she was seeing the minister clearly, as if in a globe of light.  Every move he made and every facial expression was clear to her, helping her to understand everything he said.  "I just thank God for giving me that miracle!" she said wonderingly. 

They say that candle light is the most flattering light for the human face.  The gentle glow enhances dinners, and talk flows easily, warm and sparkling in the intimate illumination of candles.  It is interesting that Jesus uses the candle as an illustration of our light as a Christian.  "Ye are the light of the world.  A city that is set on a hill cannot be hid.  Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light to all that are in the house.

Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven,"  Matthew 5:14-15.  Go light your world!

No comments:

Post a Comment