Friday, January 11, 2013

Life Lessons

"Mom, are you guys okay?" my son Greg said over  the phone.

"Yes, why?" I responded brightly, to which he surprised me by saying, "Well, the school called and said you didn't pick up the girls."  What?  We had gone to the school to pick up our grandchildren, but their big brother was there getting out of his car. We alternate days with him and his older sister in picking up the little kids. He was uncertain of his new semester schedule, so we had arranged to get them.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him, "Nobody called us to change the schedule." 

"Well, I was free, and since Tuesday is my day..." he began, when I said, "Today is Monday!"  Then I smiled, waved and said, "Well, you got 'em," and we started toward home.

As we turned at the corner, I looked over my shoulder and said, "Where did he go?" not seeing his car anywhere. "I guess he for sure heard me," and Howard said of course he did.  Just then I spotted his car in the pick-up line and said, "Oh, there he is."

Evidently, that was a look-alike car, and he had gone home, thinking we were picking the kids up!  Unbelievable!  Their mom  left work and got them immediately. 

A few days ago, Howard and I had invited some friends over for Thursday evening to watch a beautiful video of a family of Christian musicians, violinists and singers.  I reminded my husband that we had left the video at our son's house when we were sharing it with them at Christmas.  He assured me he would retrieve it in plenty of time. 

Guess what!  No one could find it!  Our evening was still enjoyable, but I felt bad when our friends  came over expecting that and we played Scrabble instead!

Plans change, and the unexpected is to be expected, it seems.  I should have double-checked to see the children get into the car.  I should have followed that nudge of uneasiness, which was no doubt the Holy Spirit, when I first didn't see our grandson.  And my husband should keep up with his videos!




No comments:

Post a Comment