Friday, January 18, 2013

Glimpses

I had just finished my blog yesterday and still had the computer on when our son called and asked if I wanted to Skype with the girls.  Yay!  A moment later I was looking at the sunny faces of our dear little granddaughters, 3 and 6.  Little sister Maddie had a book that she wanted to "read" for me. 

She turned the pages of the picture book about getting dressed.  She delighted in chortling out the page-wide scribbled word that was a clue to the excuse for not wearing a selection:  "Too PURPLE," (written in purple),  "Too ITCHY," too...polka-dotted, etc.  until finally a satisfactory outfit  was found on the last page.

Not really reading the words, sometimes my bright little red-head would get creative.  Of a skirt with animal prints, instead of "too spotted," she said, "Too CHEETAH!"  (I remember being surpised when they were here at Christmas and she walked over to a ceramic animal I had always called a leopard and correctly said, "A cheetah!")

I reminded blonde kindergartner Anne-Marie that  Valentine's day is coming up, and she would probably soon be making paper hearts for Valentine cards.  "I already helped Allie make one at church," she said, to which my surprised reply was, "You already made a Valentine?"  "No," she replied, "We made a card for a homeless person!"  When I asked her if she knew what a homeless person was, she said wistfully, "A person without a home," a serious expression in her usually sparkling blue eyes.

It is so rewarding to watch the different personality traits in children.  Anne-Marie has always been compassionate, tender and caring.  Maddie is exact, determined, and deliberate.  She makes sure you understand exactly what she is saying, and that things be done a certain way, which was difficult before she learned to talk!

I'm sure God will use each girl and her gifts in the way he has already planned. The Bible says He knew us before we were ever born and knows the plans He has for us. Jeremiah 1:5; 29:11. "How precious are thy thoughts unto me, O God! how great is the sum of them!" Psalm 139:17.

Well, my plans are to see them February 17, on a special occasion when their father will be recognized and receive his ministerial credentials in a licensing ceremony at their church. He is currently pursuing a Master's degree in Greek and Hebrew.  Already a Youth Pastor for a Chinese congregation, apparently God has even more plans for Jamie in the future!


No comments:

Post a Comment