Wednesday, January 30, 2013

I am a Promise, I am a Possibility

January is a busy month for us, with three granddaughters choosing a January birthday, all within 10 days, at that.  One granddaughter turned 21 on the 21st, with the next turning 14 yesterday, and the youngest celebrating her 10th birthday tomorrow.  Different ages and different stages, but all excited with the joy of living.

The grown-up granddaughter just started a new job, and we peeked in at her at work yesterday as she confidently and competently checked out groceries in her position of cashier at one of the supermarkets.  She is taking a break between completing a degree in December and beginning further studies later on, meanwhile decorating a house of her own!

I called my fourteen-year-old granddaughter last night to wish her a happy birthday.  She was bubbling over with excitement, fresh home from after-school activities and looking forward to the birthday cake waiting on the counter after her favorite meal bubbling in the crock-pot.  "Mimi, I tried out for track today!" she said, her voice full of enthusiasm.  "I came in 2nd in the hundred-yard dash!"

A few minutes later, I talked with her mother.  Her husband had picked Rachel up, and after seeing her run, told Amy, "She was an antelope!" I don't doubt it.  This formerly languid youngster had shot up tall and won ribbons and medals in cross-country running last year.  A beautiful child, she is sometimes plagued with teen uncertainties, so I'm glad for this activity that is a real confidence builder for her.

The 10-year-old is glad to have a double-digit birthday at last, and is getting ready for a minstry trip with her parents.  As the youngest of several siblings, Mackenzie is already an aunt with 3 baby nephews, a big helper and joy to everyone. 

"But the mercy of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children," Psalms 103.17.  That is a wonderful verse and promise that I claim.   "Yea, thou shalt see thy children's children," we are told in Psalms 128:6.  I only wish I could see them more often!

No comments:

Post a Comment