Wednesday, February 27, 2013

It's a Wonderful World

The snowy weather had put me in a baking mood.  I had made peach cobbler one day, homemade strawberry shortcake another day, and was making banana nut bread yesterday.  I had bananas, but no packaged chopped walnuts.  We did, however, have some leftover whole walnuts from Christmas in a hanging wire basket in the kitchen.  I began cracking them--an easy task with the nutmeats popping out with practically no effort.

As I cracked them, I noticed what marvelous packaging they were in.  Imagine wrapping something in wood!  And such beautiful delicate--yet hardy--wood.  The walnut shell bore the marks of its creator in the tracery of lines on its surface.  A wonderful food product requiring no refrigeration, preservation, or processing.  Just  waiting to be opened to add flavor and crunch to my banana bread!

Of course, the banana, Nature's (God's) perfect food, is a wonder in itself.  Encased in its tough, leathery skin, the soft fruit is perfectly protected, yet easy to access, even for a child.  I read somewhere that God made the foods that are particularly good for us in bright colors.  What school lunch box has not been brightened by a school-bus yellow banana? 

As I mixed the ingredients in the bowl, I added an egg.  The egg.  Another work of genius.  How to package a runny, gelatinous mass for ease in consumption, yet give it enough protection to withstand the weight of a hen, the possible brunt of her claws, and the handling of transport, let alone preserving the freshness and beauty of it? 

Since we collect eggs from our chickens daily, I've learned that, providing the natural protective coating, or "bloom," on the egg hasn't been washed off, they can be stored safely for days out of the fridge.  In fact, many foreign countries offer them for sale   in markets just sitting out in bowls or baskets, never refrigerated.  Who could invent this?  Only God!

A friend and sister in the Lord passed away last week.  Her hobby was turtles!  I often wondered what she saw in them, but just today I saw an amazing video posted on Facebook.  A turtle was on its back, and a fellow turtle rescued it!  In a fascinating, patient, act of  reptile intelligence and affection? concern?  or instinct, the turtle nudged, probed and lifted with it's sharp beak until the other cold-blooded vertebrate was on all four feet.  Then he pushed the turtle encouragingly along until the screen went black.  Doesn't sound cold-blooded to me!

We serve an amazing God!  Next time I see a turtle, I may give it banana bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment