Saturday, November 10, 2012

Warm Fuzzies

"SEASON'S GREETINGS," the large, shimmering sign at the park read.  It couldn't be!  Thanksgiving is still almost two weeks away!  And with today's warm temperatures, the display looked particularly out of place, unless this were Christmas in Florida or Hawaii.  The fluffy, plastic fronds outlining  the letters in red glowed almost orange in the sun, giving the greeting a garish, Halloween look.  I suppose the city decorating committee wants to make sure everything is up by Thanksgiving, though, and is getting an early start.

I confess I haven't given much thought to Christmas shopping yet, especially since most of our grandchildren have advanced out of my gift-giving range, older teens with jobs or young marrieds with families of their own. But there are still a few under ten and young teens.  Truthfully, though, with kids' expensive tastes and preferences, it's more fun just to shop for the pre-schoolers.I'm sure I will get in the holiday spirit when we leave for our Thanksgiving trip to Atlanta in just 10 days! All that new shopping territory to explore is bound to jump-start my gift-giving genes! 

I did get the November birthday package mailed  to our turning-six granddaughter today. Hopefully, she will like her princess pajamas.  Still on their hanger, they had hung on a rack brightening  my room for nearly a week before I sent them, and I was surprised when  I felt a pang of absence when the cheery little garments were gone. I miss the warm feeling I got just by looking at them. That will be nothing compared to what I will feel hugging the warm little body wearing them when they are here for Christmas!

Plans by her father for a glitzy, hotel-reunion-Christmas in Dallas were scrapped when I painted a picture of a homey, simple Christmas in Oklahoma.  "If it snows, we can let the kids go sledding at Greg's farm," I persuaded, "there are lots of slopes and hilly areas there."  I talked about bonfires, the big, cast iron woodburning stove in their fireplace, and the geese that are said to gather on the sizeable pond.  I forgot to mention the shooting range in the pasture that his brother has arranged.  Talk of homecooked feasts and cozy board games  may have helped win him over, too. 

I can't wait!!  Maybe it's not too soon for Season's Greetings at the park after all!



No comments:

Post a Comment