Thursday, November 15, 2012

Invitation

I just received my granddaughter's birthday party invitation!  It is a superhero party, and the soon-to-be-six-year-old is shown  "leaping over tall buildings in a single bound!" dressed as Super Girl in a red costume with a gold "S" emblazoned across the front and wearing gold-trimmed red boots. "How did she get that pose?" I asked her father.  She looked for all the world like she was flying past a metropolis of skyscrapers.  He answered in a word: Photoshop.  He said she was really lying on the floor!

At any rate, Anne-Marie looked adorable with the big, floppy hairbows on each side holding twin blonde "dog ears" in place as she flew. Although I can't go to her party, I can't wait to see her at Christmas!  Oh yes, her little sister posed as a flying exclamation point on the photo card in her smaller superhero outfit.  I can't wait to see her, too!

But first, Thanksgiving!  We are set to fly to Georgia next week to be with our daughter's family for the celebration.  Their kids are teenagers, now, but as sweet as when they were "my" babies as I took care of them while their mother worked as a nurse.  Also, there is a possibility we will get to see our newest great-grandbaby if plans work out that they can meet us there!

I have been trying to figure out how to get clothes for my husband and me into one suitcase to avoid extra luggage fees. I looked at the airline information  online, and read that bag size is limited to 50 pounds and 62" linear inches, including height, width, and length. Anything bigger will cost extra.

Those words jumped out at me last night as we read scripture verses in church concerning God's love for us.  "That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith; that ye, being rooted and grounded in in love, May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height; And to know the love of Christ, which passeth knowledge, that ye might be filled with all the fulness of God."  Ephesians 3:17-19. 

One notation I read said that being rooted meant like a tree, and grounded is like a building on a strong foundation.  When we lived in New Orleans, it was common to hear the clank and thud of pilings being driven into the ground as deep foundations for the tall buildings there.  Due to the soil structure, there were no real skyscrapers, but  I heard that pilings had to be driven as far down as the building was high for greatest stability.

Parental love is deep, as is love for grandchildren, but it cannot be compared to the depths of God's love, which goes beyond our understanding.  That goes deeper and higher than Anne-Marie's skyscrapers and describes the love of our real Super Hero, Jesus!

No comments:

Post a Comment