Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Pecking Order

"One of those hens is giving the guinea a bad time," my husband observed as he fed his flock.  "I saw it pecking at it when it was trying to get a drink."  Just because it was different!  We had removed the rooster because he made a target out of the little bird (besides which he dominated the hens, scattering their feathers and leaving bare places on their wings).

Feeling sorry for the rooster after he had caged him elsewhere, Howard let him out to fend for himself.  We arrived to feed one day and found the dog had the rooster by the throat!  The dog had escaped his pen, was secured, and the rooster put back in his cage to recuperate from a considerable mauling.  Then the chanticleer went missing after he was freed by his soft-hearted master once again.

"Did you let the rooster out?" our son asked the other day.  I told him yes, but now we couldn't find him.  "We found it dead down by the pond," he informed me.  "Looked like something had gotten hold of it.  There wasn't much left."  Oh! We knew it wasn't the dog, because he was still enclosed.  Evidently some predator.  I had seen a hawk circling once, and no doubt there is other wild life around.

The animal world is so primitive and vicious.  The survival of the fittest is the rule in nature, and not much different in civilization where there is jealousy, one upmanship and competition in everything from politics to relationships.  Churches aren't exempt, either.  My theology-student son (well, I have two), pointed out recently that it isn't enough to be in relationship with God, but also in relationship "...with those God has put out there for us, including pastors, prophets, teachers, evangelists or even brothers and sisters in the Lord."

He went on to say that when we refuse to receive from a particular minister, we are diminishing God's blessings on our lives. That struck home to me, because sometimes my spirit wants to resist what someone says just because their personality does not resonate with me.  If I think they are talking down to me, when it may just be their way of over-simplifying everything, or when I disagree with their method of presentation or time-consuming explanations, I am probably blocking valuable input.  I have begun to pray that God will remove this hindrance in me, and I have found that He has!  I invariably end up learning something valuable or spiritually enlightening if I just let down my defenses! I have had to examine my feelings to find if there is intolerance lurking, or maybe even jealousy!  

I like word games, and playing Words With Friends is a pleasant diversion for me, except when I get frustrated at the letters I get.  Awhile ago, every great word I wanted to make was discarded for lack of one essential letter!  I clicked off that particular on-going game and went to one with another opponent.  Wow!  On this board, everything fell into place!  It just depended on the letters given to me!  It occured to me that that is like life, or our Christian walk.  We all have our particular abilities or gifts from God, and it doesn't pay to be dissatisifed and envy or resent what someone else has!  Let's not be like the animals in their food chain or the fowls in their pecking order!  After all, if the little guinea, who is gifted in flight, can rise above it to the highest roost, why can't we?

No comments:

Post a Comment